The Allard Pierson (UvA) established two prizes, the Johannes van Dam Prize and the Joop Witteveen Prize, in 2012. The aim of the awards is to encourage the use of the History of Food Collection, and to raise awareness of the importance of this collection amongst a wider audience. The plates, designed by Dutch artist Joost Swarte, and a cash sum are awarded annually (Johannes van Dam Prize) and biennially (Joop Witteveen Prize) at the conclusion of the first day of the Amsterdam Symposium on the History of Food at the Auditorium of the University of Amsterdam.
Johannes van Dam Prize
The Johannes van Dam Prize is an international oeuvre-prize, named after culinary journalist and writer Johannes van Dam, in recognition of the extraordinary achievements of an author in spreading the knowledge of gastronomy in his or her publications.
Composition of the jury:
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Louise O. Fresco, president of Wageningen University
- Eppo van Nispen tot Sevenaer, director of Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Wil Demandt, chef at Restaurant Bordewijk in Amsterdam
- Jonah Freud, gastronomic bookshop owner and culinary journalist
- Garrelt Verhoeven, director of Deventer Verhaal
- Joke Mammen, curator Allard Pierson, UvA
Joop Witteveen Prize
The Joop Witteveen Prize, named after culinary historian and bibliographer Joop Witteveen, is awarded every two years in recognition of the best historical research into food culture of the Netherlands and Flanders in the preceding years. The next Joop Witteveen Prize will be awarded in November 2019.
Composition of the jury:
- Daniëlle De Vooght, winner of the Joop Witteveenprijs 2012, historian and coordinator at KU Leuven;
- Marleen Willebrands, culinary historian and linguist;
- Kasia Cwiertka, professor of Modern Japan Studies of the University of Leiden;
- Sytze van der Veen, historian and chief editor of De Boekenwereld;
- Marike van Roon, chief curator Allard Pierson, UvA and chair of the jury.
Details of this years competitions: Joop Witteveen Prize 2019
2019 Award Ceremony
The prize-giving ceremony of the 2019 Johannes van Dam Prize and Joop Witteveen Prize will take place on Friday 15 November 2019 at the Auditorium of the University of Amsterdam.
Please look here for a summary of the Gala of the Cookbook of the past years.
The Johannes van Dam prize and the Joop Witteveen prize are sponsored by Amsterdam School for Historical Studies – University of Amsterdam, Bibliotheken Eemland, Carrera Culinair, Cormet, Fontaine Uitgeverij, Huizinga Instituut, Hotel De l’Europe, Nijgh Cuisine, Slow Food Amsterdam, Stichting Gastronomische Bibliotheek and the Allard Pierson (UvA).