The Special Collections of the University of Amsterdam established two prizes, the Johannes van Dam Prize and the Joop Witteveen Prize, in 2012. The aim of the awards is to encourage the use of the History of Food Collection, and to raise awareness of the importance of this collection amongst a wider audience. The plates, designed by Dutch artist Joost Swarte, and a cash sum are awarded annually (Johannes van Dam Prize) and biennially (Joop Witteveen Prize) at the conclusion of the first day of the Amsterdam Symposium on the History of Food at the Auditorium of the University of Amsterdam.
Johannes van Dam Prize
The Johannes van Dam Prize is an international oeuvre-prize, named after culinary journalist and writer Johannes van Dam, in recognition of the extraordinary achievements of an author in spreading the knowledge of gastronomy in his or her publications.
Composition of the jury:
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Louise O. Fresco, president of Wageningen University
- Eppo van Nispen tot Sevenaer, director of Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Wil Demandt, chef at Restaurant Bordewijk in Amsterdam
- Jonah Freud, gastronomic bookshop owner and culinary journalist
- Garrelt Verhoeven, director of Deventer Verhaal
- Joke Mammen, curator Special Collections University of Amsterdam
Joop Witteveen Prize
The Joop Witteveen Prize, named after culinary historian and bibliographer Joop Witteveen, is awarded every two years in recognition of the best historical research into food culture of the Netherlands and Flanders in the preceding years.
Composition of the jury:
- Daniëlle De Vooght, winner of the Joop Witteveenprijs 2012, historian and coordinator at KU Leuven;
- Marleen Willebrands, culinary historian and linguist;
- Irene Zwiep, professor of Hebrew and Jewish Studies and director of the College of Humanities, Faculty of Humanities of the University of Amsterdam (2008–2013);
- Marike van Roon, chief curator Special Collections UvA and chair of the jury.
Details of last years competitions: Joop Witteveen Prize 2016
2017 Award Ceremony
The prize-giving ceremony of the 2016 Johannes van Dam Prize and the 2016 Joop Witteveen Prize has taken place on 17 November 2017.
Please look here for a summary of the Gala of the Cookbook of the past years.
The Johannes van Dam prize and the Joop Witteveen prize are sponsored by Hotel De L’Europe, Eemland Libraries, the CPNB, Fontaine Publishers and the Amsterdam University Fund (AUF)