The Special Collections of the University of Amsterdam established two prizes, the Johannes van Dam Prize and the Joop Witteveen Prize, in 2012. The awards are intended to encourage the use of the History of Food Collection, and to raise public awareness of the significance of this collection.
The Johannes van Dam Prize is an international oeuvre-prize, named after culinary journalist and writer Johannes van Dam, in recognition of the extraordinary achievements of an author in spreading the knowledge of gastronomy in his or her publications.
The Joop Witteveen Prize, named after culinary historian and bibliographer Joop Witteveen, is awarded in recognition of the best historical research into food culture of the Netherlands and Flanders in the preceding year.
The prizes – a plate designed by Dutch artist Joost Swarte and a cash sum – are awarded annually at the conclusion of the first day of the Amsterdam Symposium on the History of Food in the Auditorium of the University of Amsterdam.
2017 Award Ceremony
The prize-giving ceremony for the 2016 winners of the Johannes van Dam Prize and the Joop Witteveen Prize will take place on 17 November 2017.
Joop Witteveen Prize 2016
• history of food and drink in the Netherlands and Belgium;
• based on thorough historical research;
• published as (part of) a book or as an article in a magazine between the 1 January 2016 and the 31 December 2016.
• Daniëlle De Vooght, winner of the Joop Witteveen Prize 2012, historian and coordinator at KU Leuven;
• Marleen Willebrands, culinary historian and linguist;
• Irene Zwiep, Professor of Hebrew and Jewish Studies and Director of the College of Humanities, Faculty of Humanities of the University of Amsterdam (2008–2013);
• Steph Scholten, Director of UvA Heritage and chair of the jury.
How to submit
Send your publication (books: 5 copies) before the 1 April 2017 to:
Special Collections of the University of Amsterdam
Attn. Joke Mammen, Secretary of the Joop Witteveen Prize
P.O. Box 94436
NL – 1090 GK Amsterdam,
stating ‘Joop Witteveen Prize 2016’
A copy of the magazine or article can be sent to the above address or by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Joop Witteveen Prize 2016
Please include your full name, postal address, phone number, and email address.
Please look here for a summary of the Gala of the Cookbook of the past years